Greenville Regional Hospital opened in 1960 as the Edward A. Utlaut Memorial Hospital. The hospital’s primary benefactors were Bond County (Mills Township) native Edward A. Utlaut and his wife, a Highland native, Mary E. Utlaut. Before his death in 1949, Edward expressed his desire to help the people in his home county. By 1954, Mrs. Utlaut approached Bond County officials and agreed to financially support construction of a hospital when she learned of the community’s critical need for local health care.
Throughout the years, the hospital has grown and adjusted to meet the needs of the community while keeping pace with rapidly changing medical technology. In 1969, Fair Oaks Nursing Home was built.
Physicians’ offices were built in 1984 to provide office and clinic space for doctors. An Outpatient Clinic was constructed in 1993 and Wellness Link Behavioral Health Services opened in 1997. In 1998, the hospital and Bond County Board formed the Bond County Emergency Medical Services. Emerald Pointe, featuring a senior living apartment community, was constructed in 2000. In the fall of 2004, Utlaut Memorial Hospital was renamed Greenville Regional Hospital and unveiled a $9.1 million addition to house a new Outpatient Specialty Clinic, new Inpatient/Outpatient Surgery Department and new Emergency Department.
Growth continues for Greenville Regional Hospital with the addition of the 10-bed Geriatric Behavioral Health Unit, the construction of a new MRI suite, Phase II of Senior Living with construction of the Villas at Emerald Pointe, maintenance free, luxurious duplexes, and renovations of the Imaging Services and Laboratory Departments.